Thursday 23 January 2014

Introductions, of a sort

So, it begins.

It's 1AM, I'm sat in bed with a laptop, and I'm unable to sleep. It's the same as any other night, really. Except this time is different. I feel like writing.

Hello out there, I'm quite often known to most people as Unmistakable (via online alias, anyway) and this is a blog about my interests. These may shift from time to time, as people's interests generally do, but at this point in time I'm feeling some posts related to a hobby of mine: Magic: the Gathering.

It's a hobby, certainly, but of a more traditional sort. A lot of hobbies nowadays feature at least some immersion in the virtual realm, and it is to an extent, but not so much for me. Sure, there's MTG online, the server provided by wizards to allow the playing of the game across countries and time zones instantly. For me, at the moment at least, it's about the paper aspect.

Quite recently, since the new year in fact, I've succumbed to deck building in my spare time. Not just the decks thrown together from spares, I store lists, elaborate them into killer brews, then unleash them on my playgroup. I'm one of few to do so, granted, but it keeps my mind active. I feel in my element, as I have done in so many other games, so many other times before. But a little different. Since I was a boy, my interests were in the online gaming communities. Runescape, World of Warcraft, more recently Guild Wars 2 or League of Legends - all of them missed the level of immersion I feel when sitting down with my friends to play a card game.

It is lying awake at this hour that made me wonder how I could contribute, how I could spread my accumulated knowledge around, perhaps document it for when I've long forgotten it, then the idea for a blog came to mind. I have a few ideas of things to write about, God knows how long I could ramble on for, so lets see how it goes. I'm not going to make outlandish claims of updating content, but if it helps me sleep, I can only assume it's good for me.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment